Friday, December 19, 2008

John 15:13

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

I wrote this one last night when I didn't have my Bible with me and I wasn't near my laptop. I remembered the verse differently ~ thinking it ended in "brother" instead of "friend," but there's a message here that goes deeper than the "treat your friends well and be willing to sacrifice for them." It's a message of how deep and wide and amazing our Savior's love is for us. So, based on the above verse, here is the (little bit longer than usual) entry for today:

This verse brings to mind soldiers, best friends (BFF's) and comrades in arms, but today I'm looking at it differently. God, as part of the Trinity, is The Father. Jesus, as part of the Trinity, is Son. When we accept the Son we become "joint heirs" of the Father's riches. (God) This means, then, that Jesus is our brother...and, in realizing He laid down His life for us as the ultimate sacrifice, we can then know we will never find a greater love than this! Isn't that amazing?

Sit with that.

Let it sink in.

You were died for.

Jesus laid down His life for YOU...His brother/sister! there will never be a greater love than that.

And, as they say on TV, "but wait! there's more!" Not only did He lay down His life for You, (insert your name here), and not only will you not find any greater love...you also can't make Him love you any more (as in quantity, not cessation). His love for you is like a credit card in the hands of a shopaholic ~ Maxed Out. He loves you with a love that does not end, sees the real you and says, "Wow. I love you SO much" and wants you to be all He created you to be without shame, guilt, fear or chains.

Can't wrap your mind around it? Neither can I, to be honest, but I also can't wrap my mind around how a deaf man could write some of the most brilliant piano masterpieces this world has ever heard. That doesn't stop me from popping in a Beethoven CD and getting lost in the brilliance. You'll never understand. God makes that clear when He says, "your ways are not My ways, your thoughts are not My thoughts."

Don't let it stop you from believing it and living it out. If you do, it will be your only true regret.

1 comment:

Renee Chertudi said...

I could relate with the shopaholic. It is amazing that he would love us like an addiction. Never getting enough.....